Personal, Social, Health, Citizenship and Economic (PSHCE)
Statement of Intent
At Wath Central, the intention is for all children to understand themselves, be proud of themselves and celebrate differences between themselves and others. PSHCE is the drive in achieving this and allows children to explore their feelings, thoughts and ideas in a safe and comfortable environment. We want children to develop a clear understanding of how views can differ and how ourselves and our beliefs are unique. We intend for all children to leave their primary education with the aim of making a positive contribution in today’s World.
To do this, Wath Central aim to:
1. Encourage children to explore their feelings and views, understanding that there is no right or wrong but a need for justification.
2. To provide a relevant, challenging and enjoyable curriculum for all pupils that is broad, balanced and relevant in today’s World. PSHCE is at the heart of our curriculum and underpins the projects that we explore each year.
3. Develop the ability to make reasoned and informed judgments about emotional, social and moral issues.
4. Delivering a curriculum that is led by philosophical concepts. Encouraging children to understand concepts linked to feelings and beliefs and how they can be recognised in today’s world, the past and the future.
5. Develop positive attitudes of respect towards other people who are different to themselves and have an empathy towards others.
Implementation - PSHCE at Wath Central
PSHCE at Wath Central is provided in line with the legal requirements and is part of every project that is completed through school. We use a framework of lessons that coincide with what children are learning in other areas of the curriculum so children are able to make links between their own feelings and the rest of the World. Through teaching in this way, we encourage pupils to engage in reflecting on their own emotions and views and the emotions and views of others. It is our intent to encourage children to study their own values, whilst recognising that other people may think differently to themselves. Our drive of philosophical thinking, encourages children to think deeper than just a lesson and apply their feelings and thoughts into their everyday life and thinking.
Our whole curriculum is shaped by our school vision which aims to enable all children, regardless of background, ability, additional needsto flourish to become the very best version of themselves they can possibly be. We teach the National Curriculum, supported by a clear skills and knowledge progression. This ensures that skills and knowledge are built on year by year and sequenced appropriately to maximise learning for all children. Jigsaw PSHE directs our aim on developing the “whole child” through a spiral curriculum approach to developing knowledge, skills and understanding in the areas of:
Being Me in My World
Dreams and Goals
Implementation - Our Curriculum
Wellbeing and Nurture
PSHCE is at the heart of everything we value at Wath Central. We pride ourselves on being an inclusive, supportive school.
Alongside an extensive PSHCE curriculum, we offer nurture sessions and ELSA support sessions for individuals, groups and whole classes. This provides opportunity to support wellbeing and develop our social and emotional development.
We have intervention spaces purely for nurture purposes including 'The Den', 'The Nest' and 'The ELSA room'.